Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Summer Reminiscing...

Tomorrow (well, today) I'm en route to UNC-Wilmington! It's very bittersweet and i've spent the past few hours reminiscing on my Summer and Freshman year of college at Appalachian State. Here's a few things that made my Summer:

  • My sister (not biologically, but by choice) spent a week with my mom and I here in our hometown. She's older than me and has lived in DC for a while now so seeing her is always special. She's so inspirational because she's proof than you can achieve whatever you desire and that nothing or anyone should hold you back. 
  • My best friend (who is married with a child now) moved to Texas to be with her husband who just recently returned from deployment. I took on the task of driving 19 hours with her, a 3month old, and her amazing mother, and moving her into her house. I spent a month in Texas and it was a great experience but also sad because it's hard being so far from someone so close to you. As I was down there, I got to see my beautiful cousin and her family (they're also in the military). So it was a win-win! 
  • Unfortunately as I was in Texas, my grandfather [papaw] was diagnosed with cancer. I flew home early to be with him during his surgery and have spent my entire Summer with him. It's been VERY hard but quickly makes you view life in a different perspective. 
  • As I arrived from Texas, my brother, sister-in-law, and niece were here in Charlotte to greet me! It was exactly a year since I had saw my brother last (they live in Florida). The circumstances with my papaw made it an emotional stay but nonetheless, I enjoyed every minute with my family!
  • I got my first, probably only, tattoo. It reads "Strength" with the 'e' being a cancer ribbon. My grandmother passed away before I was born from breast cancer and my other grandmother passed away from cancer, as well. Once my papaw was diagnosed, I knew it was time to follow through with this tattoo. "Strength" represents what it takes for loved ones to fight this battle, and it has biblical meaning to me. Some people disagreed with it but it was ultimately my decision and I love it. Oh, the location is on my ribs...it was painful. 
And here I am, after traveling, long lake days, all-nighters with my best friends, and a lot of growing up...i'm headed to Wilmington. It's hard to leave my family (and dog!) but I do know it is the right decision for me. This Summer I've made positive changes, figured out a little bit more about my future, and spent my time with the people that mean most to me. 

P.S.-If anyone reading this believes in prayer, take a second to pray for my papaw, as he's still battling <3

No comments:

Post a Comment